There comes a time when your old car no longer runs, and it’s too expensive to keep repairing it over and over. No one wants to pay more money to fix a car than it’s actually worth. When that time arrives, you may want to junk your car for cash. Often, this is a great way to salvage some money from your old car and get rid of it with minimal hassle—but some buyers are predatory. Here’s what to watch out for when you’re working with junk car buyers in Broward County, FL.
Getting ready to junk your car
- Call around: Since every junkyard is different, you should call around to get a better idea of pricing and requirements. You should ask whether they need you to dismantle the car yourself, whether they pick it up and if you can sell it as-is so they’ll do the dismantling themselves. It’s also important to ask how much they’ll pay, and if they’ll pay you to dismantle the components.
- Get your documentation together: If your car is worth less than $1,000 and the model is over 10 years old, you can sell your car without a title in Florida. However, you’ll still need to fill out the appropriate paperwork and provide a driver’s license and thumbprint for documentation purposes. The junkyard may still want to see proof of registration and the title, however, so be prepared in case that comes up.
- Know your vehicle stats: Finally, the junkyard will be interested in whether the car still runs, the make and model and what it’s worth. You can determine your car’s value by checking the Kelley Blue Book.
Watch out for these red flags
- Title or registration transfer problems: When you sell your car to a junkyard in Broward County, FL, the ownership needs to officially transfer from you to them—otherwise, you could still be on the hook for traffic tickets and other fines. Make sure you work with a reputable junkyard who walks you through the transfer process. The last thing you want is to sell your car and find out that the transfer didn’t actually go through.
- Bait and switch: When you call a junkyard, be sure to ask them for a firm price—then watch out for a bait and switch. Some disreputable companies will show up to pick up the vehicle, then offer you a lower amount. They’re hoping that the extra pressure will coerce you into taking a bad deal. Don’t fall for it. Call another junkyard instead.
- Check payment scams: Finally, watch out for buyers who offer to pay you more than the vehicle’s value, then ask you to refund the difference when the check clears. Chances are, the check won’t clear, and you’ll have a difficult time getting a refund.
Working with reputable junk car buyers in Broward County, FL is important. Call Junk Car Dog today to find out how much your old car is worth. We can even buy cars without a title!