If you’ve made the decision to sell your vehicle to a junk car buyer, it’s important to determine that the buyer you’re working with is actually legitimate so you don’t find yourself on the bad end of a rotten deal.
It is an unfortunate reality that there are scammers in the world of junk car buying. However, it is possible for even a person who doesn’t know much about vehicles to determine whether or not the business is legitimate before signing any contracts or passing over the title. Here are just a few of the considerations you should take into account when determining whether a prospective buyer is among the best auto wreckers in Fort Lauderdale, FL:
- Charging for towing is usually a red flag: All towing services should be free. Junk yards should be able to operate using a business model that allows them to provide free towing services and still be able to maintain their operations. Just walk away and look somewhere else if the owner of the junk yard tells you you’ll need to pay for your own towing expenses—you can find plenty of other options elsewhere.
- Feel free to ask about prices: Another big red flag is getting lowballed for your vehicle. If it’s the first company you’ve contacted and you get a low price, you should ask around to other junk yards as well to see what kind of estimate they can give you for your vehicle. If the rates tend to be comparable across the board, then your vehicle probably just isn’t worth much. But if one rate is clearly lower than what other companies offer, then they’re probably trying to scam you and you should take your business to one of your other options.
- You should be able to make a quick transaction: There are some companies that promise the world when it comes to their customer service and their ability to turn around quick transactions, but there are others that will take an inordinately long time to tow your vehicle and even give you an estimate for what you can expect to get in the sale. If you have to sit on your hands waiting for your junk yard to get back to you, you may as well take your business elsewhere—chances are, you’re going to want to get through the process as efficiently as possible.
- They should pay in cash: Never accept checks for payment from a junk yard. Always ask for cash. You can never know for certain (if you’re unaware of the junk yard’s reputation) that checks they write you will actually go through. Cash is the surest way of getting what you’re owed.
- Research the reputation of the junk yard as much as possible: If a junk yard is successful, it will have people who can testify to its success and quality. Do your research before selecting a junk yard to work with.
For more information, contact the junk car buyers at Junk Car Dog today. We’re proud to be regarded as one of the best auto wreckers in Fort Lauderdale, FL!