Do you have a car that’s no longer running or that you no longer use, but that you also know won’t get you a whole lot of cash on the open market? You do have the option to take it to a junkyard instead, or arrange for junk car removal in Coral Springs, FL.
You’ve probably never had a car junked before, so if this is a route you’re interested in taking, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- You’re going to want to remove all your belongings: You’d think this would be common sense, but you’d be surprised at how many cars come into junkyards that are still packed with personal items. People tend to accumulate items in their cars over time, especially if they’ve owned them for many years. You are responsible for removing all these items from your vehicle before the tow truck arrives to pick it up. Keep in mind that a junk car is not a dumpster, and salvage yards are not responsible for throwing away the items you leave behind in your vehicle. Therefore, check inside all compartments, under floor mats, over visors, in the trunk and anywhere else you might have left items. Be sure to remove discs from the CD player, and don’t forget to take out your insurance cards!
- Consider whether or not the vehicle has any valuable parts: If you’ve already arranged a price with the junkyard, you must turn over the vehicle in the same condition you described when you agreed on that price. However, it’s worth taking a look at certain parts of the car before you settle on a price. Do you have tires that are in good condition? If so, you could get some balding tires instead and swap them for the valuable tires on the vehicle for you to reuse or resell. The same is true for batteries and electronic gear.
- Take off license plates: The license plates still belong to you, so remove them before the vehicle gets towed away. You may be required to return them to the DMV before you are able to cancel your registration and insurance policy, so it’s important to take those plates away as soon as possible.
- Use up gasoline: If the car is still capable of running before it gets junked, it’s a good idea to use up the gasoline. Otherwise, you can siphon it out to use in other vehicles. This should go without saying, but never start a siphon with your mouth—use approved siphons and gasoline containers. Getting rid of the gas also helps out the junkyard, which has to drain all fluids anyway.
- Take care of the title: You must have a valid title for the car to officially transfer ownership to the junkyard. While you can sell the vehicle without a title, it will be much more difficult.
For more information about getting junk car removal in Coral Springs, FL, contact the team at Junk Car Dog today. We look forward to working with you!